Welcome Centre for International Scholars
Tel. +49 6221 54-12721 / -12725 Fax  +49 6221 54-12790

Homepage Welcome Centre


International students should please contact the Serviceportal for international students.

Applicants for a university place address themselves to the admission office for international applicants.

Foreign graduate students can contact the Graduate Academy.

Online Portal
News and Events

Das Welcome Centre is responsible for issuing hosting agreements for reseacher visa or residence permits (§20 AufenthG) [more...].

Events and Activities for Visiting Scholars

22 June, bicycle tour to Ladenburg with guided city tour and picnic

27 June, Information session about pensions in Germany

Service for Host Institutes

Information for host institutes, that look after and advice international scholars. [More ...] (Ger)


The updated English version of our Handbook is ready and you can get it in our office!


Handbook for International Scholars (PDF viewer)



The "Mentorship programme" aims at establishing contacts between international researchers and citizens or alumni of Heidelberg University. [more...]

Other services at University

Researching and Working in Heidelberg

Here we provide you with the necessary information around all topics relevant for preparing your stay in Heidelberg, everyday life here until preparing your leave – visa issues, the search for an apartment, essential visits to authorities up to the finding of an appropriate school for your children. Furthermore, we regularly organize events and excursions for visiting researchers and their families, provide an online portal and a mentoring program.


News: Bicycle tour to Ladenburg



We warmly invite you, your family and friends to join us on a bicycle tour to Ladenburg with a guided city tour and picnic on Saturday, 22th of June 2019.  [registration]








IDs and Accounts

Visiting Scholar Card

Any visiting scholar who is teaching or doing research here without an employment contract with the University can apply for the Visiting Scholar Card. The card confirms the holder’s membership at the University and can be used to apply for a University library card, a CampusCard or a pass for the University sports centre. [More...]



International scholars with a valid Visiting Scholar Card can obtain a CampusCard. The CampusCard is a rechargeable chip card for cashless payment which allows to eat and drink at any of the cafeterias (Mensen) and cafés run by the Studierendenwerk Heidelberg (student services organisation) at staff prices. It is also used at copy machines, the University Computer Centre (URZ), the University Library, the University sports office and the Language Centre (ZSL). The CampusCard can be obtained at the InfoCenter in the Triplex Mensa (cafeteria at University square) or in the Zentralmensa (INF 304). A Visiting Scholar Card  or a work contract is needed for confirmation. A five Euro deposit needs to be paid. [More...] (Ger)


Library Card

The University of Heidelberg has one main University library and numerous smaller libraries that belong to the institutes and specialize in literature related to the appropriate subjects. It is possible to access the University catalogue (HEIDI) via the University library web site. The catalogue also contains the library holdings of most of the institute libraries. International scholars can obtain a library card at the University library. The staff will create a borrowing account using a user number and the appropriate personal information. The library card can be obtained at the lending desk. Please note: Generally it is only possible to take home books from the library if staying in Heidelberg for three months or longer.

Documents needed:

  • Completed application form of the University library
  • International scholars’ identification card or confirmation from the host institute or employment contract with the University, if applicable
  • Passport or personal identification card
  • Copy of the registration of the place of residence in Heidelberg (Anmeldebescheinigung)



Computing Centre UserID

International scholars have free access to the internet everywhere on campus (WiFi and LAN). Furthermore it is possible to use Microsoft and UNIX computers at the University computing centre (URZ) located at In Neuenheimer Feld 293. The user ID needed to access the services of the computing centre is called "Projektnummer". The relevant application form needs to be signed by the "EDV-Beauftragte", that is the staff member at the host institute who is responsible for the computer system. One or two days after submitting the application the ID will be sent to the institute address by regular mail. The ID must be activated subsequently. [More...] (Ger)


Staff Sports Pass

International scholars can take part in the University sports programme. In order to do so you will need a staff sports pass with a picture. It is necessary to apply for it in person at the University sports office (Address: Im Neuenheimer Feld 700) by showing your international scholar card or your employment contract with the University and by paying an administration fee of 5.- € . You can find the current sports programme on the University sports office homepage. Courses specially offered for staff, scholars and professors are listed under the heading "Mitarbeitersport".  With e few exceptions the university sports courses generally do not require a registration in advance and are free of charge.  [More...] (Ger)



Administrative Matters








Employment at University

























Email: Editor
Latest Revision: 2019-06-05
zum Seitenanfang/up